jueves, 19 de octubre de 2017

Hanoi, Vietnam (short layover) 2017

35h in Hanoi (October 2017)
  • I spent a day and a half in Hanoi and I will share some of the possibilities nearby
  • Ideally I would have spent much more time in Halong Bay 
  • In just a short time Vietnam offered some peculiarities such as local dresses or having a dog sitting peacefully in a scooter with its owner

Places visited:
  • a) Downtown (West Lake, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Temple of Literature, St Joseph Cathedral)
  • b) Halong Bay
a) Downtown: 
  • Main points of reference I visited were West Lake, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Temple of Literature, St Joseph Cathedral
a1) West Lake
  • Largest lake in Hanoi
  • Very popular recreational area


a2) Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum
  • While the Mausoleum itself did not impress me, I highly recommend reading or listening about Ho Chi Minh (leadership in Vietnam War, first presidency of current Vietnam, etc)
  • There is a museum as well which I did not have time to visit

a3) Temple of Literature
  • It is a temple dedicated to the figure of Confucius
  • Built in the 11th century, it hosted first national university in Vietnam
  • It somehow resembled me to the Forbidden City in Beijing but in much smaller size
  • Entrance fee was less than €2



a4) St Joseph Cathedral
  • One of many sights in downtown Hanoi, next ti Old and French quarters
  • Walking around the Old and the French quarters is recommended
b) Halong Bay:
  • A group of colleagues organised a 1day tour to Halong Bay, one of the "wonders of nature" in the world
  • The area is quite similar to El Nido in Philippines
  • Pick up was around 4am and we came back around 4pm
  • Even if we enjoyed and it was worth it, I would spend more time in this place



  • During the visit we had the opportunity of kayaking for a while

  • And we visited the caves of Dong Thien Cung:


  • I am glad to have known a little bit of Vietnam and I am looking forward to exploring the country properly
  • Hope it helps :)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario